I learned five things this weekend:
- That fellow blogger Voidwalker smiles when he reads my blog. I know this because he passed along a blog award. More about that after I finish my list of five new things.
- That there is an absolutely amazing site for juvenile lit writers just waiting to be read. Agent Mary Kole blogs at kidlit.com and has fantastic insight into the publishing world. In addition, she is hosting a contest for writers. If you’re interested in entering, check out the rules of her first chapter contest here.
- That I can still write short stories, and in fact, rediscovered my love for them after critiquing one for Michelle. I set up a place on my sidebar that will take you to mine. Just click on Short Fiction Sunday under The Things I Say on my sidebar. I will try to post a new short once a week.
- That a little paint goes a long way in making old things sparkle and shine. I helped DD repaint her room on Saturday. We also applied some snazzy new colors to her old vanity. Voila. Elbow grease plus paint equals new digs.
- That I’m a bigger procrastinator than I originally thought. DH had no problem pointing out that I have yet to start tanning for our fun in the sun vacay coming up. I guess he doesn’t want to hang out alone while I keep my lobster butt in the shade.
The 101 Sweet Friends Award
For this honor, I must post ten things that make me happy/smile. In no particular order:
Cauliflower and dip
Kids in general–mine in particular
DH’s humor–I thank the Lord for his comedic outlook on life
Which reminds me–my faith
Flowers–and the fact that my summer office is my garden patio
The written word–both reading and writing
My first bowl of chili each fall
The rules also state I must pass this award onto seven bloggers who are either sweet or make me happy. Like Voidwalker, I think handing an award out to gobs of people is like giving a participation award to all 4007 kids who competed in the tie your shoe race. When everyone is special, no one is special.
And so I will pass along the names of the two bloggers that make my heart smile. For my other faves check out my blogroll (like I do daily). You might find a few you want to follow.
- Sweet goes to My Writing Masquerades, where excerpts and insights are beautifully written.
- Happy goes to Elana Johnson. I love her sense of humor. She has tremendous kid appeal, and since I’m a nothing but a big kid, I laugh out loud when reading her posts.
For readers of YA, DD and I finished up our review on Kristin Cashore’s Graceling.
What makes you smile?